Sunday, February 8, 2015

Going for a run in the village


It starts out my back door around 17:30 p.m. Greetings to my neighbors responded with “Are you going for exercise?” Why yes I am because white people are weird and because I’m still trying to lose the weight I gained form drinking all those margaritas last year. They thank me for my work. I smile and take off. Up a hill, get the heart rate going, exhale ferociously as I pass the college, which for now is empty. Catch my breath enough to yell out greetings and thank you’s to the people outside of their houses as I run through Kabukunge village. The children run out and I smile as they call my name, smile even bigger as they call me “singa” or auntie, and no longer call me mazungu. I reach the first fork and branch to the left and now I am alone. Heading east, the sun setting behind me, I run through the corn fields and stare up at the hills and think “Thank god this path exists.” I pass a few more small houses, say hello to those sitting outside then round a corner to the subtle uphill that lasts just a little too long. It is on this part that I wish things we’re just a little easier. Maybe flatter? Or maybe even steeper, but shorter? But no it continues and I breathe in more air so I have more to give. Breathe in more air, so I have more to give. Catch a wiff of a blooming coffee plant and remember that I had no idea coffee plants smell like 10,000 honesuckle plants squished into a mason jar. Magnificent. I see the end and I make myself go faster. I turn left and now I’m headed north. The path evens out. The sun is setting on my left. I pass two houses where the families no longer laugh at the absurdity but smile at the mazungu who runs by and gasps hello. Past one more house and then the spot where I make myself stop. The spot where it would be easier to pass right through, miss it, continue on and get this run over with. But the spot where I stop, look at the setting sun and the hills. Those hills. Don’t waste an ounce of this. Continue on. Down hill, paved road now. Into the trading center. Say hello to the duka ladies. Decide to cross the street instead of turning to go home. The road turns and now I’m running west. Into the sun. Up another annoying “gentle” incline. Why did I do this? Why did I continue on? Because I don’t want this to be over. There is more to be had. Turn to the left again and now heading south. Those hills again! Meet up with the road, down the hill to home. Up the hill to the campus. Sit on the hill to watch the sunset over the papyrus swamp. I’m a sucker for a good sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment